For manageability, this School of Film and Animation (SOFA) Student Handbook is broken into sections and, for concision, information is generally only listed once even though it may relate to multiple sections. Therefore, incoming students are expected to fully read this page, Administration & Academics, Production & Exhibition, and the section covering their degree (i.e., MFA, BFA, and BS). The Thesis section should be read in full by the winter intersession in the year prior to the final, thesis year. Aside for sections relating to a specific degree, unless otherwise noted, all information applies to all students.
Since SOFA continually evolves, the current version of this handbook should be consulted before taking action based on SOFA policy.
The information on these SOFA pages is “unofficial” in the sense that, where it might conflict, it is superseded by official college and university policies. Students should familiarize themselves with College of Imaging Arts and Sciences (CIAS) student polices and guidelines, and Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) student rights and responsibilities and Student Policy Library, which include additional information on an array of important topics such as the Dean’s List and academic probation.
Students are referred to various individuals by job title in this handbook. The current names of those individuals are below. The full SOFA faculty and staff list can be also found here.
- Administrative chair: Malcolm Spaull (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Graduate director: Tom Gasek (email@example.com)
- Film program chair: Jack Beck (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Animation program chair: Brian Larson (email@example.com)
- Motion picture science program chair: David Long (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Senior staff assistant: Mary Barnard (email@example.com)
- Homepage/handbook administration: Peter Kiwitt (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Archive assistant: Erin Tan (email@example.com)
CIAS Student Services
- Academic adviser (BFA, BS): Lauren Cannon (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Academic adviser (MFA): Kristie Gross (email@example.com)
Office of Cooperative Education and Career Services
- Film and animation program coordinator: Morgan Leonard (firstname.lastname@example.org)