cias-files is a server that provides file services for use by faculty, staff, and students of CIAS. The Transfer folder is a specific file share that allows a user temporary storage to move files from one computer to another. cias-files also hosts the Rendershare, My Shares, and Course shares, as well as numerous software manuals and help files in the Help share.
How do I connect to the server from Mac OS X?
0. If you are off campus, you must first connect to the RIT VPN.
1. From Finder, click the Go menu, and then select Connect to Server.
2. Type in the address of the share you want to access and click Connect. Below are some available shares and their addresses.
My Shares: smb://cias-files.main.ad.rit.edu/my_shares
3. When prompted, enter your RIT username and password, and click Connect. You should now see a window pop up with the file share.
1. Click the Start menu and then select Run. Alternatively, hold the Windows key and type the letter “R”.
2. Type in the address of the share you want to access and click OK. Below are some available shares and their addresses.
Rendershare: \\cias-files.main.ad.rit.edu\rendershare\<Your RIT Username>
My Shares: \\cias-files.main.ad.rit.edu\my_shares
3. When prompted, enter in your RIT username and password and click OK. Important: If your first login attempt fails, prepend your username with ‘MAIN\’ like this: MAIN\abc1234. This will force your personal computer to authentication against RIT’s directory.
We offer a web browser based system for getting to your files.
How do I get server space for a class I’m teaching?
Please visit request.cias.rit.edu to request Courses share space.